- Subscribing to a software plan
- Applying for a pro-bono plan or pro-bono feature
- Applying for a developer plan
- Extending the software plan you had as part of an Implementation Bundle
- Upgrading or downgrading to another software plan
- Ending a subscription
- Payment Options
- Monthly invoicing and payment process
- Payment methods
- Updating Billing Contact Information
- API access: Is the CommCare-Export tool considered use of API Access for the purposes of software plan/billing?
- Dimagi support: How does my software plan affect the level of support I get from Dimagi?
- Plan Features: How can I see which features I'm currently using?
- HIPAA security: What is the difference between HIPAA security at the STANDARD and PRO plan level?
- Custom reports: What are the custom reports that are offered in the Pro, Advanced, and Enterprise software plans?
- What happens if my project’s subscription ends and gets downgraded to the Community software plan?
Understanding Dimagi's offerings
These are services that can be purchased individually. They enable organizations to selectively add specific services to their pre-existing mobile systems to either strengthen their program or technology or to develop new features.
Choosing a software plan
Dimagi offers five software plans tailored to meet different partner and project needs.
Please see the list of software plans here, and refer to the CommCare Plan Details for additional details about each software plan's associated features:
For FAQ about our software plans, please check Other FAQ about our software plans
Fees for additional users
Fees for SMS
Dimagi charges incoming and outgoing messages on a per-message fee for both Dimagi's gateway and your own Android gateways.* To view SMS prices for using Dimagi's connections in each country, click here.. You can choose a connection for your project under Messaging -> SMS Connectivity
* Outgoing SMS refers to SMS sent by CommCareHQ to the mobile users, other registered beneficiaries, or end-clients. Incoming SMS refers to SMS sent by users to CommCareHQ.
Starting and managing your subscription to a software plan
Subscribing to a software plan
|Monthly and Annual Billing|
Applying for a pro-bono plan or feature
Dimagi offers pro-bono software plans or features on a need-only basis. Pro bono applications are usually granted to small organizations who want to do a small or pilot project and who have thoroughly considered their feature needs. You can apply for a pro-bono plan by filling out this application.
Please remember: Our Community software plan is completely free, supports up to 10 mobile users, and gives you access to all basic CommCare features.
Applying for a developer plan
Developer accounts will be offered pro-bono to developers looking to write tools that integrate with CommCare. To make a developer account request, please email email@example.com.
Extending the software plan you had as part of an Implementation Bundle
If your service agreement with Dimagi is about to end but you would like to retain your CommCare HQ subscription and keep your existing functionalities, you should follow these steps:
Upgrading or downgrading to another software plan
You can upgrade to another software plan at any time. Please note that:
To upgrade or downgrade, go to Project Settings > Current Subscription and click Talk to Sales.
Ending a subscription
All monthly subscriptions require a minimum 30 day commitment. You can end a subscription at any time after the first 30 days by following the process described in Upgrading or downgrading to another software plan and choosing the Community plan. The Community plan is free up to 10 users.
If you have more than 10 users, you will be billed $2 per user over 10. You can either pre-pay for these additional users, or you can post-pay when you receive an invoice on the first of the month. If you have more than 10 users but don't want to get charged, we recommend that you identify inactive users and either archive or delete them. Read here carefully about the difference between archiving and deleting and learn how to do it (FAQ D/).
Making a payment and getting an invoice
You have following payment options:
Monthly invoicing and payment process
Invoices can be paid via credit card, Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT), or check.
To make a pre or post - payment, follow the steps outlined here.
Updating Billing Contact Information
Billing Contacts will receive invoices, subscription reminders, and other billing updates. They do not have to be CommCareHQ web users. To change or update the Billing Contacts, please go to Project Settings > Billing information (on the left of the page), and update the information. If no billing contacts are entered, the invoices will by default be sent to the web admin users registered for this project space. To check the web admin users registered, go to Users> Web Users & Roles on www.commcarehq.org. If you have any other questions regarding your invoice, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to updating your billing contact information, you also have the option of saving a new credit card that can be used for pre or post-payment for your account, and you can elect to use this card for monthly auto payment as well.
Other FAQ about our software plans
API access: Is the CommCcare-Export tool considered use of API Access for the purposes of software plan/billing?
No, the CommCare-Export tool accesses all records via the API, but is intended to be available to all plans.
Dimagi support: How does my software plan affect the level of support I get from Dimagi?
Unless you have a services agreement, your software plan determines the level of support you receive from Dimagi.
1. Community & Standard - use our regular support channels (the "Report an Issue" button and the CommCare-users group) to get general support. Standard plan users have access to more direct email support follow-up.
2. Pro - In addition to general support, you can ask support questions specific to your project's application and content. You will not have a specific Dimagi point of contact.
3. Advanced - In addition to our regular support channel you will have a point person from Dimagi person for app/content support specific to your project.
How can I see which features I'm currently using on my software plan?
|To check which features you're using, go through the first step of changing your subscription here: https://www.commcarehq.org/a/your-project-space/settings/project/subscription/|
HIPAA security: What is the difference between HIPAA security at each level?
Our standard, Pro and Advanced plans currently adhere to the same security standards from a technology standpoint. The key difference is whether Dimagi is willing to assume liability and sign a "Business Associates Agreement" (BAA), which we offer with Advanced and Enterprise plans. If you're unsure what your organization may need in order to adhere to institutional data privacy and security, please contact us.
Custom reports: What are the custom reports that are offered in the Pro, Advanced, and Enterprise software plans?
What happens if my project subscription ends and gets downgraded to the Community software plan?
Your project will lose the features associated with the previous software plan, (e.g. if you were using an SMS reminder functionality as part of your workflow, this will get disabled), however all of your data will remain accessible.
Other FAQ about invoicing/payment
Credits: Am I losing my credits when my subscription ends?
No, the credits you load onto your subscription as pre-payment don’t expire. Even if your paid subscription ends and you are downgraded to a Community Subscription, your credits are still loaded onto your account, and start getting debited again once you face new charges.
More questions not answered in this FAQ?If you have any other questions on pricing and payments, please reach out to email@example.com and we would be happy to help you!