Popular Help Content
This page contains various resources for designing CommCare applications
When designing an application you want to start with several major questions:There are several stages to the development of a CommCare application, with important questions to consider at each stage.
- What is the context of the project?
- Who are the beneficiaries?
- Who are the users?
- What are the data needs?
- Define the structure: modules menus and forms
- What are the major events (i.e. registration, monthly visits, meetings, etc.)?
- What is the structure of the community or intervention
- How can the structure be optimized for usability/help the mobile user?
- Define the content
- Advice/counseling messages
- Questions (data collection)What will the multimedia content be?
- What counseling messages need to be included?
- What questions or calculations should be in each form?
Stage 1: Application Purpose and Requirements
- Draw a schematic that shows the workflow of the application. Specifically, show the structure of the Modules Menus and Forms and how you think the content should be best organized.
- Describe the purpose of each form as it relates to case management concepts. For each form consider how it relates to the life cycle/care cycle of that case of interest.
- What is/are the criterion/criteria for closing a case?
- Is an edit form is necessary or required?
- If case sharing is required in the application, are there multiple workflows to illustrate?
Here is an example of a basic workflow mockup with some relevant questions:
Stage 3: Defining the Application Content
- Example Application Spec
- Catholic Relief Services - India - MCH
- Millennium Villages - Kenya - MCH (note: health content not yet finalized)
- Millennium Villages - Senegal - MCH (note: health content not yet finalized)
- Save the Children - India - MCH
- Cathloic Catholic Relief Services-India-Monitoring