This page contains various resources for designing CommCare applications
When designing an application you want to start with several major questions:
- What is the context of the project?
- Who are the beneficiaries?
- Who are the users?
- What are the data needs?
- Define the structure: modules and forms
- What are the major events (i.e. registration, monthly visits, meetings, etc.)?
- What is the structure of the community or intervention
- How can the structure be optimized for usability/help the mobile user?
- Define the content
- Actual questions
Application Worksheet and "Definition File"
When developing an application, the first step is to "define" the application. This is often done by completing a worksheet, like the attached version. The worksheet walks through the major questions outlined above and is meant to get the app designer thinking about the possible structure of the app. It also helps to understand how complex the program will be, and what type of resources will be required (i.e. multimedia development, approval of health counseling messages, etc.)
After a protoype application has been developed form the work sheet, an Excel "definition file" can be exported form CommCare (see Export Form Contents). The definition file is an easy way to quickly iterate on an application, as it is in a familiar format (Excel).
When designing applications it is often easier to use a familiar medium like a word document or excel file.
Open Source Application Specs
- Example Application Spec
- Catholic Relief Services - India - MCH
- Millennium Villages - Kenya - MCH (note: health content not yet finalized)
- Millennium Villages - Senegal - MCH (note: health content not yet finalized)
- World Vision - India - MCH
- Save the Children - India - MCH
- Cathloic Relief Services-India-Monitoring